Education Manager supports Sylvan Heights Bird Park Education Department through all aspects of education programming for visitors, K-8 school outreach programs, classroom learning opportunities, mission-related events, on-site summer camps, docent/visitor programming and other on-site interpretive education programs. This position is also responsible for managing the education natural science collections (i.e., taxidermy, artifacts, etc.).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Researches, designs, develops, coordinates, implements, and evaluates all Sylvan Heights educational programs.
• Manages all aspects of education programming for visitors, from inception through completion.
• Develops high-quality programs that further Sylvan Heights mission and vision to be a leading wildlife education resource.
• Manages all aspects of administrative aspects of Sylvan Heights Education Department, including program budgeting and monitoring, program development, scheduling, and staff supervision.
• Recommends changes or upgrades to visitor education programs, materials, operations and facility design to maximize educational utilization and visitor experiences.
• Supports Volunteer Engagement Coordinator to provide day-to-day scheduling, training and program resources for docents.
• Manages all aspects of the Education Department’s living and non-living resources, budgeting, collection planning and care, staff and volunteer supervision.
• Provides excellent customer service to program participants and guests.
• Recruits, trains, mentors, and evaluates all full- and part-, seasonal Education staff and short-term contractors.
• Works closely with the Marketing and Media Relations Department to develop promotional strategies and collateral materials for programs.
• Works with other departments on their staff’s interpretive education programming including planning, training, and evaluating.
• Collaborates with other departments to create educational event programming.
• Assists with the development of the Education Department budget. Monitors metrics to ensure that education programs and events meet budget expectations.
• Adjusts work schedules as needed to accommodate programming times that are outside typical assigned work schedule.
• Stays current with information, trends, research and skills pertaining to education, the environment, NC wildlife, and any other field pertinent to this position.
• Develops and maintains professional relationships with outside partners, including nonprofits, municipal offices, government agencies, funding organizations, etc.
• Directly supervises employee and multiple project-specific education contractors. Reports to the Executive Director.
• Other duties that advance Sylvan Heights Education Department functions, as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in environmental education, ecology, environmental science, conservation biology, or related field required
• Three to five years related experience and/or training
• Two years’ supervisory experience preferred, a valid driver’s license, and able to lift 30 pounds
• Experience in interpretive education, including curriculum development and implementation
• Familiarity with a variety of teaching methods and knowledge of age-appropriate cognitive and physical abilities
• Proficient in using computers and Microsoft software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Virtual Platforms).
• Experience working with small invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals in public and non-public situations
• Research skills are required
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays
• Working knowledge of the natural world
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Ability to work with both adult and teen volunteers
• Proficient in public speaking and creative thinking
• Capable of self-motivating and working without direct supervision